These are the letters from Egan to his beloved Sophia. The translator was unable to ascertain dates for these letters.
Some letters were never mailed, but stayed in a small locked box that Egan kept over the long years.


Monday, March 16, 2009


My most loved and adored Sophia –

This morning, while you still slept (you are so expert at that some days) I took my coffee and sat on our back porch. The weather was perfect and the pear trees beautiful, covered with millions of tiny white blooms; one of the most incredible sights of the Spring. As I sat there, the Spring wind began to blow and on this day, the pear blossoms were released from their hold to the tree, almost all of them, and for just a moment it seemed a giant snowstorm was falling.

Every year, the pear tree must let go of it’s beautiful blossoms or the fruit of the pear cannot set and provide nourishment and enjoyment. I thought, how like Us that is, Us and Love. The beauty of the blossom must be released for the patient forming of the fruit that will bring Us enjoyment and nourishment through the Fall and Winter.

When I realized that, I offered up a prayer for each of those millions of blossoms that God will in his Providence provide for us through the storms of Spring and the heat of Summer, and that He will use Us, making us fit fruit for the Love He blesses upon the world.

πάντα

No comments:

Post a Comment