These are the letters from Egan to his beloved Sophia. The translator was unable to ascertain dates for these letters.
Some letters were never mailed, but stayed in a small locked box that Egan kept over the long years.


Saturday, March 21, 2009


My beautiful love Sophia –

Did you see the tears in my eyes this morning? You could not have seen the tears of joy in my soul, but they were flowing so freely because of you, as so often they do. I cannot tell you the intensity of the feelings you bring me; only try to repay them from time to time so that you too experience them.

As I sat this morning, watching you walk the field next to the house (as you often do) I felt the warmth of the sun and the warmth of your love for me, basking in them both. It was then that you surprised me with a handful of wild daisies you had picked from the field – so much like you, beautiful and wild and growing free. You knelt before me and handed them to me, there were tears in your eyes and you lowered your head as you presented them to me and I find myself humbled, humbled and shaking in my body and my soul from loving you.

Daisies, wild and beautiful from a field unseen by others – from my most precious, wild and beautiful and unknown to others with what you do to me, for me. What force of God brought you to me in this life? What debt did life owe me that the payment it made was to bring you to me? I find myself drowning in your love and wishing nothing else that life might have to offer me. All other things seem so trivial.

πάντα

No comments:

Post a Comment