These are the letters from Egan to his beloved Sophia. The translator was unable to ascertain dates for these letters.
Some letters were never mailed, but stayed in a small locked box that Egan kept over the long years.


Monday, March 16, 2009


My dearest and most beautiful Sophia -

There are times when I see men looking at you, and I must confess that I am as guilty as they. I find myself looking at you in adoration, in appreciation, and in humbleness to your beauty. You are tall and fair of face, sharp featured and dark in a way that can cause even trees to tremble in your presence; but, that is not the true beauty I find in you.

No one else, I don't believe, has ever seen that true beauty that I have found; the compassion you feel for others, the purity of feeling you have for your God, your joy of Life, and, most of all, at least from my perspective, the great and passionate love you show me all the time, without flinching and without failing. I am, beyond any question, the most fortunate man on this earth.

You go to much trouble to be beautiful for me, and I appreciate the effort my precious love; but, you should know, that in my truest of true hearts, I see the greater beauty of you and it is that which has so completely taken my breath and my heart away from me. You are, without any question, beautiful among all women - more importantly, you are, without any question, the most beautiful woman my soul has ever beheld and I do love you so dearly for that.

πάντα

No comments:

Post a Comment