These are the letters from Egan to his beloved Sophia. The translator was unable to ascertain dates for these letters.
Some letters were never mailed, but stayed in a small locked box that Egan kept over the long years.


Monday, April 20, 2009


Sophia, my Solace –

Last night my mind was running in so many circles, confusion and dismay controlling my every thought and each of those darkening thoughts coming from within my own self-doubts. Late into the night I lay there with those dark things flying about in my head.

I did not move in our bed, I didn’t want to wake you and trouble you with these things; my nightmares, both waking and asleep. But, I should have known better; I should have known that even in sleep I could not hide from you. That is why in the middle of the long, dark night you awakened, gently but suddenly, and told me to put my mind at rest. And I did, as if by your tender command things dark vanished into the bright light of Love shining on them and giving them no place to hide and take root.

You pulled yourself closer to me in the darkness and touched my face so gently with your hand. I closed my eyes to enjoy the softness of your certain touch. And now, as I drift off to sleep, a sleep that will be filled with only pleasant dreams, I hear your beautiful voice singing one of your favorite songs; music gives you such pleasure and tonight your gentle refrains are my lullaby. Within your voice I hear your heart speaking to me, calming me, loving me – my Sophia, my Sophia.

πάντα

No comments:

Post a Comment