These are the letters from Egan to his beloved Sophia. The translator was unable to ascertain dates for these letters.
Some letters were never mailed, but stayed in a small locked box that Egan kept over the long years.


Thursday, April 23, 2009


My precious beloved Sophia –

As it often does, Spring brings stiff winds to push and shove on everything around us. It woke me with its howling and moaning. last night. When I became more fully awake, however, I found it was not only the wind which had wakened me, but your tears and the sound of you crying in your sleep.

Your head was on my chest as you slept, as it is every night. I could feel the wetness of your tears against my skin in the darkness; and, even though you did not awaken, I could hear the light moans come from your lips as you cried. I did not disturb you, only held you close to me to offer you comfort in your sleeping my most precious woman.

Others only see you smiling and hear your daily refrains of care and uplifting for those around you. They never see the clouds forming in your eyes before this storm begins, nor should they.

Only I am allowed to see you cry, only I am allowed to hold you close and try to comfort your soul. It would be vanity on my part to believe that I could ever heal this wound, it is old and it is deep, and I am not a vain man.

But, before you and before God I have vowed to be forever loyal to you and hold you when you cry – you know that I have never failed you in the past and He knows I will never fail you in the future. My love for you is too complete to ever fail you.


πάντα

No comments:

Post a Comment