These are the letters from Egan to his beloved Sophia. The translator was unable to ascertain dates for these letters.
Some letters were never mailed, but stayed in a small locked box that Egan kept over the long years.


Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sophia, my beautiful, my beloved –

Tell me; in how many ways can I say to you, “I love you!” - please tell me. I do not want to leave any one of them unsaid, either with my lips or with my soul. When you wake in the morning, before you even have time to open your eyes, I want you to feel the love I have for you. As you go through your day, no matter what happens, I want you to remember that my love is with you, never faltering for forgetting. When you go to sleep at night, I want the last thought you have to be of the love my soul feels for you. Even when you sleep, in your dreams, know that I am there loving you my darling.

Do you know that from the first time I said “I love you” until this very moment there has never been a time when I have not loved you? There has never a time when I did not go through the day feeling this ever-present love for you in my thoughts, in my actions, in every thing I do. There has never been a time where I did not feel your love for me as I made decisions, large and small, that would influence everything from what I had for lunch to life altering events.

You are my world, my life, you are that there is. I do not remember what life was like before I fell in love with you, it seems like another lifetime. I do not remember what I wanted from life before; since I fell in love with you I only want you, that is all my life needs to be complete.

Last night, I asked you to sing me to sleep and you laughed because you do not like your voice singing, but I love it. I lay there with my eyes closed as you sang that little song I like so much, the one about the boat, and smiled in my heart thinking about how lucky I am to be the object of such love as you give to me. So please, if I haven’t forgotten some way in which to tell you “I love you,” remind me my wonderful one; I don’t want to let anyone of them go unmentioned. You are the light in my eyes, the beat of my heart, you are all life and happiness and I love you more than I can say.


πάντα

No comments:

Post a Comment