These are the letters from Egan to his beloved Sophia. The translator was unable to ascertain dates for these letters.
Some letters were never mailed, but stayed in a small locked box that Egan kept over the long years.


Monday, October 12, 2009

My Sophia, my love eternal -

Never again will I see the sun setting over water and not feel the passion of your love for me; not after watching you cry from the shear beauty of that act of nature. The beauty that fills your soul is, I have found over time, immeasurable. This single, simple act of the sun lowering itself into water, extinguishing itself for the day, moved you so deeply. I don’t know if you were moved by the beauty of the scene or if you were moved by the fact that the sun would not see things in the darkness; it does not matter, your tears were sincere and beautiful. As I held you close to me we said not a word and I did not attempt to wipe the tears from your face; tears of love and of joy are supposed to stay there.

Never will you hear the cello again in the same way. You virtually forced me to go to that concert the other night, knowing how much I hate leaving our humble home after dark. Once we there and I quit fussing and that funny looking young man began to play, I was moved beyond anything I have ever known. With every note he played I felt my heart, my soul being extracted and attached to your heart and soul; by the time he finished playing that first song I belonged to you as I never had. Is that the first time you had seen me cry? Were you surprised? You held my hand in a way you never had and I knew we had crossed a new threshold in our love for one another.

Surely, a God who is kind and loving will not limit us to just one lifetime, how piteous that would be. For I have found that one lifetime will not nearly be enough to give to you all the love I feel, I do not know how many it will take to accomplish that feat. Now that I have seen your depth and felt my own, I realize that Life and all of Time is required of us both to finish this job and to carve our names in the annals of the great loves of this Universe.


πάντα

No comments:

Post a Comment