These are the letters from Egan to his beloved Sophia. The translator was unable to ascertain dates for these letters.
Some letters were never mailed, but stayed in a small locked box that Egan kept over the long years.


Sunday, June 28, 2009


My life and my breath, my precious Sophia –

In this darkness, I watch you sleep my wonderful love. I do not watch you with my eyes, but with the beat of my heart and the tips of my fingers. The gentleness of your heart surpasses even the softness of your skin, something which my senses as a man do not always comprehend. Your heart overflows with forgiveness for all who wrong you, even the scoundrels who neither deserve nor ask for clemency; so great is your heart.

Sleep my beautiful woman; sleep in the safety of my arms that hold you as surely as you hold my heart. Wake to a morning that is as gentle as the fog that will float upon the water at dawn. Sleep knowing that you were born for me and wake knowing that I was born for you. We were born, not in the momentary weakness of the flesh, but in the divine strength of the soul.

With marvel we have seen tomorrow, tasted of its richness, felt its fullness. Laying in the darkness this night, I would wake you to tell you my certainty of all these things, but I know how weary you are. It is now quiet as a chapel in the middle of the night and I will comfort myself with a kiss upon your brow and the smile that comes to your face my precious. I love you with more than words can say and you love me more fiercely than even my imagination can envision. We will not yield to tempest.

πάντα

No comments:

Post a Comment